Despite having been overlooked at both the BAFTAs and the Oscars, British actor David Oyelowo has turned in one of the very finest performances of the year, in his portrayal of Martin Luther King, Jr., in Ava DuVernay’s breathtaking drama Selma – and we had the pleasure of sitting down with him to discuss how he went about tackling such a role.
– Oyelowo explains whether this was a daunting project for him
– On tackling the role from a British perspective
– On humanising Martin Luther King, Jr. and relating to him
– Why it was a relief to move on from the role
– On diversity in cinema – and whether it’s getting better