While BAFTA CEO Amanda Berry explained to us the reasons why Selma was overlooked at the BAFTAs, we’re still none the wiser as to why it wasn’t nominated in more categories at the Academy Awards. When we sat down with the film’s director Ava DuVernay, she gave us her own reaction to this controversial set of events. DuVernay also spoke to us about….
– Why this project wasn’t a daunting one
– Why it’s taken so long for a film about Martin Luther King, Jr. to be made
– Why this was such a personal project for her
– The crafting and structure of the narrative
– Collaborating with David Oyelowo
– The benefits to having a core, British cast
– On her next film…
Selma is released on February 6th. You can read our five star review here. Watch our interview with David Oyelowo here.