The first fully-functioning Iron Man suit has been developed is now available for purchase, for the general public.
For understandable reasons, the suit won’t be available for everyone, and it comes with some significant modifications. The weapons have all been stripped from the suit. But – and here’s where your jaw ought to drop to the floor – flight mode is still possible!
The suit is based on the Mark XLVII armour, which is of course going to be seen on the big screen in Iron Man 3, which arrives in the UK at the end of the month and in the US at the start of next month. And to top it all off, the system’s updates and commands have been recorded by Paul Bettany, the voice of JARVIS in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Available exclusively through Firebox (who have sold some of the most outrageously unique products in the history of consumerism), the suit combines existing military technology with new and highly experimental technology.
There are two important pieces of information to make yourself aware of before considering the purchase:
Due to the experimental and highly secret nature of this product, customers will be required to undertake rigorous physical and psychological tests before purchase.
For legal reasons a full waiver must also be signed, indemnifying Firebox in the unlikely event of injury or appearance of arch-nemeses.
And delivery is also set at 5 to 6 months from the date of ordering. But when you have the potential to become Iron Man on the table, you can probably stand to wait a little while to realize your childhood dreams.
In tandem with the launch of the suit, Firebox have also introduced a new fragrance ahead of the release of Iron Man 3, called ‘Eau De Stark’. The limited edition bottle is made from recycled pieces of used versions of the Mark XLVII suit, and a run of 100 bottles will contain a single drop of Robert Downey, Jr.’s sweat, collected under sterile conditions during the filming of Iron Man 3. And, let’s face it, if you’re going to become Iron Man with your suit, you’re probably going to want to complete the set with the fragrance to match.
Directed by Shane Black (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), Iron Man 3 returns to the big screen in just a matter of weeks, and the anticipation surrounding it is immense. The film kick-starts Phase Two in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and everything we’ve seen so far has been ever so slightly awesome. If you missed it, you can catch the latest full-length trailer here, which should more than persuade you this will be one of the best films of the year.
Iron Man 3 will be released in 3D and IMAX 3D on 25th April here in the UK, followed by a May 3rd release date across the Atlantic in the US. If I were a rich man, this Iron Man suit would definitely be on my Must Buy list.
- The suit is crafted from a mix of steel and carbon, and features the iconic red/gold Ironman design.
- The Mark XLVII headset utilises projected holographic technology to control the suit and includes system updates and commands, (recorded by Paul Bettany, the voice of J.A.R.V.I.S in the films).
- Powered by a 1000 watt lithium battery positioned in the middle of the suit, accurately mimicking the appearance of an arc-reactor.
- For improved flight-safety, cameras are mounted on shoulders and wrists, and are integrated with your control systems.
- Hand-mounted stabilisation and maneuvering jets combined with the thigh-mounted flare development system provide optimum flight control.
- To ensure maximum battery life, two lightweight battery packs are located on the hips. Like the arc-reactor battery pack, these are re-chargeable.
- Made to measure
On a slightly different note, we have a feeling that this could be relevant to all of the above!