The list, which used to include just over 120 films, has finally been narrowed to a more manageable 15. Many of the films such as Bart Layton’s docu-thriller The Imposter and Jeff Orlowski’s beautiful climate change doc Chasing Ice were heavily acclaimed by both critics and cinephiles at this past Sundance Film Festival, and their appearance on the Academy’s Shortlist come as no surprise.
Personally I am pulling for my own Sundance favorite “Searching For Sugar Man”, but in order for the film to win it will have to beat out some seriously tough competition. Check out the full list of films below:
- Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry, Never Sorry LLC
- Bully, The Bully Project LLC
- Chasing Ice, Exposure
- Detropia, Loki Films
- Ethel, Moxie Firecracker Films
- 5 Broken Cameras, Guy DVD Films
- The Gatekeepers, Les Films du Poisson, Dror Moreh Productions, Cinephil
- The House I Live In, Charlotte Street Films, LLC
- How to Survive a Plague, How to Survive a Plague LLC
- The Imposter, Imposter Pictures Ltd.
- The Invisible War, Chain Camera Pictures
- Mea Maxima Culpa: Silence in the House of God, Jigsaw Productions in association with Wider Film Projects and Below the Radar Films
- Searching for Sugar Man, Red Box Films
- This Is Not a Film, Wide Management