J.C. Chandor’s career so far has been a fascinating one – from the sharp, dialogue-heavy Margin Call to the almost completely dialogue-less sophomore endeavour All is Lost. His third feature A Most Violent Year is somewhat more akin to his first picture and yet still remains unique of its accord, bringing together Oscar Isaac, Jessica Chastain and David Oyelowo for this intense thriller.
In our interview with the filmmaker we discuss;
– His previous knowledge about 1981 – the year this picture is set
– How important New York City is to this tale
– Why he opted for a more traditionally structured film in this instance
– His biggest influences for this movie
– His joys with working with such a stellar cast