It sounds a little strange but in practice it’s a fascinating blend of game and toy. What’s more the six new supercars in Anki OVERDRIVE are created by Hollywood car designer Harald Belker, whose graphically bold vision and style has been seen in futuristic vehicles appearing in such films as Minority Report (2002), TRON: Legacy (2010), and Total Recall (2012).
His sleek designs are then packed with a 50MHZ computer and camera that recognizes player-built courses mapping tracks at 500 data points per second. It’s the future now in more ways than one.
Perhaps the most important news today is that we have a firm release date of 20th September and price of $149.99 (£149.99) for the Starter Pack. This includes the following:
- Two robotic cars – Skull and GroundShock
- Four straight track pieces
- Six 90 degree curved pieces
- Two riser pieces
- A four-car charger
- A tire cleaning kit
Additional expansions increase the variety and number of circuits that can be made:
- Corner Kit – (2) 90 degree curved pieces
- Speed Kit – (2) straight track pieces
- Collision Kit – (1) 4-way intersection piece
- Launch Kit – (1) take off piece, (1) landing track and (3) trestle pieces to create the ultimate jump
- Rails Kit – (8) guard rails ensure the chaos of battle stays on the tracks
- Bank Turn Kit – (4) Race around corners at faster speeds and pull some serious G-forces.
- Elevation Kit – (4) riser pieces to elevate the battle field
Also unveiled today were two more Anki cars (£49.99) for the game’s launch:
- GUARDIAN – The car’s Siren Core keeps the pursuit of victory going at full volume. Its piercing sonic attacks go right through armor and cause challengers to lose control.
- BIGBANG – This armor-plated heavyweight’s Graviton Core creates massive shockwaves that send foes flying off course.
These join the existing cars, designed by Hollywood car designer Harald Belker:
- SKULL – The car’s Pirate Core lets it sail across the track at high speed while its cannon rips through enemy hulls.
- GROUNDSHOCK – Its PowerStation Core electrifies the track with split-second maneuvering and lightning-fast attacks. Don’t get in its way.
- THERMO – Its Magma Core engine is old-school meets future. Using hyper-charged internal combustion, it not only burns up the track, it projects fire at anyone in range.
- NUKE – Its Fusion Core can be charged up to unleash ultra-high energy blasts that tear through normal shields. Its cool exterior masks an unstable explosive interior.