We got to chat with Don Hahn recently for the upcoming release of the blu ray so keep your eyes peeled on HeyUGuys for a two part interview which we’ll be posting in the coming months. But for now, we can give you some more information on what exactly is going to be on the blu ray special features. Here’s what we know:
The documentary on the disc is called Beyond Beauty: The Untold Stories Behind Making Beauty and the Beast and in total, there are 3 hrs and 42minutes of it, plus, there is a 53 minute supplementary (we’re not sure if that is part of the total run time above or an addition).
When the movie was first in production, it was being made in London and Dick and Jill Purdum were going to direct (you can find out more on this when you see our interview with Hahn which will be coming later this year) but for now, you can see the image below which was made by Dick Purdum.
Click it to enlarge.
Furthermore, on the Blu ray, you can expect to see 19 minutes more of this sort of art on something called The Purdem Reel (which was a Leica reel – see here for more info) which, from what we can gather will be a collection of all the work the Purdems did on the movie. It may only be designs but we’re hoping for some animation but either way, this has never made it’s way out of the Disney Vault before. After seeing this reel, the Purdum’s were asked to leave.
We’ve also learned that there is an alternative version of ‘Be Our Guest’ but the difference here is that Belle’s father is sitting at the dinner table and not Belle.
We’ll also get to see two silly symphonies (short musical cartoons) and four extra additions from Walt Disney’s Laugh-o-Gram studios, an animation house he had in the early 1920s which will include:
- Puss in Boots
- Little Red Riding Hood
- The Four Musicians of Bremen
There’s also a 14 minute featurette on the history of hand drawn animation and featurettes on the development of most of the main characters from Beauty and the Beast.
So, here’s the run down of what we know:
- Beyond Beauty: The Untold Stories Behind Making Beauty and the Beast is 3 hrs and 42minutes long
- There is a 53 minute supplementary (we’re not sure if that is part of the total run time above or an addition).
- 19 minutes more of The Purdem Reel
- 4 Laugh-o-gram fairytales
- A 14 minute featurette on the history of hand drawn animation
- Featurettes on the development of most of the main characters from Beauty and the Beast
So there we have it! Like I said, you can pre-order Beauty and the Beast here and keep your eyes peeled for Brendon Connelly’s interview with Don Hahn (for HeyUGuys), the producer of Beauty and the Beast in the coming months.
And for the run down on the main extras, here’s the list currently released on Amazon but with no particulars:
- Backstage Disney
- Beyond Beauty: The Untold Stories Behind Making Beauty and the Beast (with Interactive BD Only Features)
- Broadway Beginnings
- Composing a Classic: A Musical Conversation with Alan Menken, Don Hahn and Richard Kraft
- Deleted Scenes
- Alternate Story Open
- Belle in the Library
- Family Play
- Enchanted Challenge: A Disney Quest Game
- Bon Jour, Who is This? A Disney TelePlay Game
- Disney Channel Music Video
- Classic DVD Bonus Features (From 2002 Platinum Release)