As the world goes into Coronavirus meltdown Hollywood, and in particular the year’s movie release schedule, is being hit hard amongst the spiralling pandemic as a number of this year’s biggest blockbusters experiencing the delays in their release.
The ever-expanding cancellations were kicked off last week with the announcement that the latest instalment of the Bond franchise had been pushed back from its original release of April and will now be released in November. Since then, other studios have slowly followed suit with the likes of A Quiet Place 2, Fast and Furious 9 and Peter Rabbit 2 all taking a hit.
Here’s where we stand right now – these will be updated as and when more announcements will be made.
- A Quiet Place 2 – Original release March 19th – New release date is currently under review. John Krasinki made the announcement today via Twitter.
— John Krasinski (@johnkrasinski) March 12, 2020
- Fast and Furious 9 – original release set for April now moves back a year until April 2021
— #F9 (@TheFastSaga) March 12, 2020
- Peter Rabbit 2 – original release slated for March 27th now moves back to August 2020
- No Time To Die – originally slated for an April 2020 release now moves back to November 2020
MGM, Universal and Bond producers, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli, announced today that after careful consideration and thorough evaluation of the global theatrical marketplace, the release of NO TIME TO DIE will be postponed until November 2020. pic.twitter.com/a9h1RP5OKd
— James Bond (@007) March 4, 2020
Elsewhere, other events taking a hit in the UK include premieres, press tours and press screenings including A Quiet Place 2 and Peter Rabbit 2. Tonight’s scheduled UK premiere of ‘Mulan’ has now been cancelled.
Also in news – Uma Thurman to star in new Apple drama ‘Suspicion’
Events in the US are also facing the crisis over the pandemic with festivals such as SXSW no longer happening as well as CinemaCon.
- CinemaCon which was due to run between March 30th and April the 2nd has mostly been hit due to Trump’s travel ban to and from Europe.
“Each spring, motion picture exhibitors, distributors and industry partners from around the world meet in Las Vegas to share information and celebrate the moviegoing experience. This year, due to the travel ban from the European Union, the unique travel difficulties in many other areas of the world and other challenges presented by the Coronavirus pandemic, a significant portion of the worldwide motion picture community is not able to attend CinemaCon.”
- SXSW was due to take place between March 13th – March 22nd. In a statement released via social media, they announced they were devastated to have to cancel this year’s event. Fears have already risen as to whether they will now be able to fund the festival in 2021 and have had to lay-off a third of their workforce.
— SXSW (@sxsw) March 6, 2020
- The Beverly Hills Film Festival, the Cleveland Film Festival, the Full Frame Festival at Duke University and the New York Children’s Film Festival all decided to cancel their events.
The Beverly Hills event, which was scheduled to occur on April 1-5, was postponed until further notice. “Due to the fact that the Beverly Hills Film Festival will bring together thousands of attendees locally and globally, it is our ethical and moral responsibility to not participate in the possible outbreak of COVID-19,” organizers said in a statement.
- The Cleveland Film Festival said it would hold next year’s event on April 7-18, 2021, adding, “This is a difficult situation for all involved. We are grateful for your understanding, loyalty, and continued support during this challenging time.”
- The Cannes Film Festival is looking doubtful at this stage but it’s still scheduled to go ahead.