To mark the release of Cunningham on 6th July, we’ve been given 3 copies to give away on DVD.
Director Alla Kovgan, traces Merce’s artistic evolution over three decades of risk and discovery between 1944–1972, from early years as a struggling dancer in postwar New York to his emergence as one of the most visionary and influential choreographers in the world.
Misunderstood and rejected by the dance world of his time, Merce persevered against all odds and developed a new dance technique and a new way of thinking about making dance performances in collaboration with composer John Cage and visual artist Robert Rauschenberg. Rooted in both imaginary realms and actual life experiences, the film features excerpts from Cunningham’s works, re-imagined for cinema at interior and exterior locations. The precise choreography of the camera allows viewers to “step inside the dance”; and the archival materials (16mm/35mm footage, audio, and photographs) evoke the charged atmosphere of the time, while Merce’s own diagrams and drawings provide insight into his creative process.
The Small Print
- Open to UK residents only
- The competition will close 9th July 2020 at 23.59 GMT
- The winner will be picked at random from entries received
- No cash alternative is available
- Please note prizes may be delayed due to COVID-19
- To coincide with GDPR regulations, competition entry information will not be stored once the competition has ended and the winners have been chosen and prizes sent out.
The usual T&Cs can be found here. Good Luck!