Well, this is the motherload. Though Lucasfilm haven’t kept as tight a lead on Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story as they did with The Force Awakens thus far we’ve only had a handful of details to go on.
Related: Everything we learned from the first trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Today we know a little more. The people over at JediBibliothek have uncovered a work in progress visual guide to Rogue One which reveals a lot of new information.
We finally get to know who’s who – with names and (brief) descriptions of the main players. New ships are revealed; variants on the classic designs and though we need to stress that these are not final (the TFA X-Wings are heavily featured in one image, suggested either that both designs are present, or that these are placeholders – like much of the text).
First off – here’s the roll call of those involved.
- Felicity Jones plays Jyn Erso, a gifted soldier and warrior.
- Diego Luna plays Captain Cassian Andor, an officer in the Rebel Alliance.
- Jiang Wen plays Baze, a freelance assassin.
- Alan Tudyk plays the CGI figure K-250, a Vollstreckerdroide (Executor droid) and evidently an imperial model, but teams up with the rebels.
- Riz Ahmed plays Bodhi, a rebel soldier.
- Pao, an alien who is described as “fierce warrior”.
- Donnie Yen plays Chirrut, a spiritual warrior.
- Bistan, another alien who is described as “fierce warrior”.
- Ben Mendelssohn as director Krennic, the military director of the Empire, to defend the Galactic Empire against the theft of Mission rebels.
Keep in mind that this text may not be final, as are some of the images below, but the names and basics are likely to be real. Warriors and aliens seem to be the order of the day, but that some have their allegiance in the descriptions points to a gathering of Rebels and mercenaries; making this a Guardians of the Galaxy/Wild Bunch affair.
Note also that there’s no mention of Mads Mikkelsen’s character (though we know who he’s playing…).
So then, onto the main event. There’s a new variant on the TIE fighter, a new Rebel Spaceship (a U-wing?) and some old favourites – yes, Vader, we’re looking at you…