The Tribeca Film Festival have announced the juries for each category of competition. A host of actors, directors and journalists have been selected that include Evan Rachel Wood, Paul Haggis, Josh Radnor, Eva Longoria and Bryce Dallas Howard.
The members selected will be judging the films that fall within their respective categories, and you can check out the list below. Make sure to check back with us for all the latest from Tribeca including reviews, interviews and more! The festival runs from April 17th – April 28th in New York City.
World Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 World Narrative Competition are:
- Kenny Lonergan: Academy Award®-nominated playwright, filmmaker and screenwriter. Credits include You Can Count On Me,Gangs of New York, and Margaret. His stage credits include Lobby Hero, The Waverly Gallery and This is Our Youth. He is a member of the Naked Angels Theater Company in New York.
- Bryce Dallas-Howard: Multi-award nominated actress, director, writer and producer. Acting credits include The Help, 50/50, The Twilight Saga, Hereafter, Restless, Lady in the Water, The Village and the HBO adaptation of Shakespeare’s As You Like It. She directed the short film When You Find Me as part of Canon’s innovative and inaugural “Project Imagin8ion” campaign and directed one of five short films included in The Lifetime Original Movie event “Call Me Crazy: A Five Film.”
- Paul Haggis: Academy Award®-winning filmmaker whose credits include Crash, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers, Letters to Iwo Jima, Casino Royale, In the Valley of Elah and television including Thirtysomething and The Tracey Ullman Show.
- Blythe Danner: Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress. Stage credits include A Streetcar Named Desire, Betrayal, Stephen Sondheim’s Follies, The Miser and The Seagull. Film work includes The Great Santini, Mr. and Mrs. Bridge and Meet the Parents.
- Jessica Winter: Senior editor at Time magazine, directing coverage of the arts and culture. Her writing has appeared in Time, The New York Times, Slate, The Guardian and many others. Previously served as a juror at the London and Vancouver International Film Festivals.
The jurors for the 2013 World Documentary Competition are:
- Whoopi Goldberg: Makes her directorial debut at in the 2013 TFF with the documentary I Got Somethin’ To Tell You. One of an elite group of artists who have won an Academy, Grammy, Emmy and Tony Awards.
- Sandi Dubowski: Director and producer whose award-winning work has screened at Tribeca, Sundance, Berlin and Toronto Film Festivals; BBC, PBS, and ZDF-Arte; and in cinema release globally. Credits include Trembling Before G-d, A Jihad For Love andBudrus.
- Joe Berlinger: Academy Award® nominated filmmaker and two-time Emmy Award-winning television producer and director. Films include Brother’s Keeper, Paradise Lost and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster and Crude.
- Evan Rachel Wood: Critically acclaimed actress who has garnered Emmy, SAG and Golden Globe nominations. Credits include The Wrestler and HBO’s Mildred Pierce. Stars in the 2013 TFF selection A Case of You.
- Mira Sorvino: Academy Award®-winning actress best known for Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite, Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, The Replacement Killers, Mimic and Norma Jean and Marilyn.
Emerging Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 Best New Narrative Director are:
- Stu Zicherman: New York-based screenwriter, producer and director. Co-created the ABC’s Six Degrees and wrote and produced ABC’s What About Brian and FX’s Lights Out. Has written feature scripts for several major studios and made his feature directorial debut at the 2013 Sundance Film festival with the comedy A.C.O.D.
- Ari Graynor: Film, stage and television actress and producer. Credits include the films For a Good Time Call, Celeste and Jesse Forever, 10 Years, Holy Rollers, Conviction and Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist and the television series The Sopranos andFringe. Broadway credits include The Performers, Relatively Speaking and The Little Dog Laughed.
- Naomi Foner: Academy Award®-nominated and Golden Globe-winning screenwriter, producer and director. Writing credits includeRunning on Empty, Losing Isaiah and Very Good Girls.
- Radha Mitchell: Australian actress, Radha Mitchell who currently stars on the ABC series Red Widow is best known for her work in past feature films such as High Art, Man on Fire, Finding Neverland and Woody Allen’s Melinda & Melinda.
- Tony Gilroy: Academy Award®-nominated screenwriter and director whose credits include Dolores Claiborne, Michael Clayton and the Jason Bourne series.
The jurors for the 2013 Best New Documentary Director are:
- · Taraji P. Henson: Academy Award® nominee for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Hustle & Flow, Date Night, Karate Kid, and Think Like a Man. Currently stars in the CBS hit Person of Interest.
- · Josh Radnor: Actor, writer and director best known for the Emmy Award-winning television series How I Met Your Mother. He wrote, directed and starred in Happythankyoumoreplease and Liberal Arts and next appears in Jill Soloway’s Afternoon Delight.
- · Jared Cohen: Founder and director of Google Ideas, senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and an author. His books include: The New Digital Age: Reshaping the Future of People, Nations and Business; Children of Jihad; and One Hundred Days of Silence. Previously served as a member of the U.S. Secretary of State’s Policy Planning Staff and a close advisor to Condoleezza Rice and later Hillary Clinton.
- · Riley Keough: Actress whose film credits include The Runaways, The Good Doctor, Jack and Diane and Magic Mike.
Short Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2013 Narrative Short Film Competition are:
- · Sheila Nevins: President of HBO Documentary Films, is responsible for overseeing the development and production of all documentaries for HBO, HBO2 and Cinemax. She has overseen the creation of more than 500 documentaries and has earned dozens of awards, including, Primetime Emmys, News and Documentary Emmys, and Peabody Awards.
- · Kassem Garaibeh: Actor, comedian, and co-founding talent of Maker Studios, a network that includes over 10,000 channels on YouTube. Credits include his award-winning YouTube series California On and Going Deep.
- · Jessica Hecht: Stage and screen actress known for roles on Breaking Bad, Bored to Death, Friends and Law and Order. She appears in 2012 selections The English Teacher and Space Cadet, and is starring on Broadway in The Assembled Parties.
- · Chris Milk: Artist, music video director and photographer. Credits include Wilderness Downtown, Last Day Dream, The Johnny Cash Project and videos for Kanye West, U2, Arcade Fire and Gnarls Barkley. Co-creator of the 2013 TFF Storyscapes selection This Exquisite Forest.
- · Christine Baranski: Tony, Emmy, SAG and American Comedy Award-winning actress. Stage credits include The Real Thing, Rumors, Lips Together Teeth Apart, Boeing-Boeing, Hurlyburly and The House of Blue Leaves. Screen and television credits include The Good Wife, Cybill, Frasier, The Big Bang Theory, Chicago, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Cruel Intentions, The Ref, Reversal of Fortune and Mamma Mia!
The jurors for the 2013 Documentary and Student Short Film Competitions are:
- · John Skipper: President of ESPN Inc. and co-chairman of Disney Media Networks. Frequently appears on “most influential” lists in such outlets as Sports Business Journal, CableFAX Magazine, Business Week and The Sporting News.
- · Eva Longoria: Golden Globe-nominated and SAG and ALMA Award-winning actress, producer, businesswoman and philanthropist best known for ABC’s Desperate Housewives.
- · Bobby Flay: Acclaimed chef, restaurateur, Food Network star and cookbook author. Hosted and produced 3 Days to Open with Bobby Flay, The Next Food Network Star and is an Iron Chef on Iron Chef America.
- · Jason Silva: Television personality, media artist, filmmaker and techno-philosopher who has presented at TED Global, Google, The Economist Ideas Festival and at keynote events for Microsoft and IBM on the evolution of technology and its effect on humanity.
- · Danny Strong: Emmy Award-winning writer of HBO’s Game Change and is currently writing the two-part finale ofThe Hunger Games. Also an actor on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Gilmore Girls and Mad Men.
- · Abigail Breslin: Academy Award®-nominated actress best known for Little Miss Sunshine. . Other credits include M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs, New Year’s Eve, My Sister’s Keeper, Zombieland, Rango and The Call. Forthcoming films include Haunter, Ender’s Game, Final Girl and August: Osage County.
The jurors for the 2013 BOMBAY SAPPHIRE Award for Transmedia:
- · Jeff Gomez: CEO of Starlight Runner Entertainment, the world’s leading expert at expanding entertainment properties, premium brands and socio-political themes into highly successful transmedia franchises and international campaigns.
- · Frank Rose: Bestselling author, speaker and digital anthropologist known for his books The Art of Immersion: How the Digital Generation Is Remaking Hollywood, Madison Avenue, and the Way We Tell Stories and Into the Heart of the Mind. Contributing editor to Wired magazine.
- · Thomas Allen Harris: Filmmaker whose videos and installations have been featured at the Museum of Modern Art, Whitney, Corcoran Gallery and the London Institute of the Arts.
TAA Creative Promise Awards
The jurors for the 2013 TAA Creative Promise Award—Narrative are:
- Rubén Blades: Panamanian-born musician, recorded over 20 albums, won eleven Grammys, acted in over 30 films. Ran for the Panamanian presidency in 1994. Was Minister of tourism there from 2004 through 2009. Holds degrees from Panama’s Universidad Nacional, Harvard Graduate Law School and received an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music.
- John Forte: Grammy-nominated recording artist, composer, music producer, educator and activist. Former Fugees. Co-producer of the 2013 TFF selection The Project.
- Tea Leoni: New York-native and actress whose credits include Flirting with Disaster, Spanglish, You Kill Me, Bad Boys, Family Man and Tower Heist.
The jurors for the 2013 TAA Creative Promise Award—Documentary are:
- Shola Lynch: Director, Producer and Writer whose documentary credits include Chisholm ’72 – Unbought & Unbossed, and the recently released in theaters, Free Angela & All Political Prisoners.
- Sol Guy: Culture ninja and social entrepreneur who has worked with Lauryn Hill, Outkast and P. Diddy. Co-creator and host of the series 4REAL and currently developing a new TV series, The Talent Show.
- Rachel Dratch: Funny-lady best known as a cast member on Saturday Night Live, creating the characters Boston Teen Denise, Debbie Downer, Denise and Sheldon. Credits include Down with Love, Click and 30 Rock.
TFI Latin America Media Arts Fund
The jurors for the TFI Latin America Media Arts Fund, including the Heineken VOCES awards are:
- Julia Bacha: Brazilian media strategist and award-winning documentary filmmaker who highlights under-documented stories from the Middle East. Most recently directed and produced the short My Neighborhood, winner of a 2013 Peabody Award.
- Carlos Gutierrez: Co-founder and executive director of Cinema Tropical.
- Leonardo Zimbron: Latin producer best known for his films Efectos Secundarios, Bajo la Sal, Viento en Contra and Nosotros los Nobles.