Writer-director Tom Six’s The Human Centipede quickly became one of the most talked-about horror films in recent years after its release in 2010, and the franchise grew in notoriety and controversy last year with The Human Centipede 2, which was first rejected by the BBFC, and then ultimately granted an 18 rating after making a number of cuts to the film. (You can read our interview with Six about the banning here.)
We heard towards the end of last year that Six had always been planning the franchise as a trilogy. Now more news of the final instalment comes from EW, via ComingSoon.net, revealing that The Human Centipede 3 (Final Sequence) will see the return of both Dieter Laser and Laurence R. Harvey, the respective killers in the first two films, as well as Six himself in a supporting role.
Producer Ilona Six, Tom’s sister, also said that filming will take place in the southern states of the US in May and June this year. The setting of the first film in Germany moved to England with the second, and is now jetting across the Atlantic for the finale, for a film that Six has said will make the second film look like the work of Disney.
*Your customary Spoiler Alert for if you’ve not seen the first two films.*
I’ve seen the first film but not the second, but I know the basic idea of the plot, and the film’s entry on Wikipedia helps flesh out the rest. A few details to pick up on: a) Tom Six voices the father of the main character/killer, Martin (Harvey), and b) *spoiler alert* that the events of the film may have all been in Martin’s head. And of course, the sequel incorporates the first film itself as Martin’s inspiration/obsession.
With that in mind, let’s make a few predictions for what might come to pass in Final Sequence:
- I’d guess that Six will either be playing Martin’s father in flashbacks, or given the meta nature of the second film, will be playing himself in the present.
- The interesting thing will be whether Laser is playing himself (as an actor in the first film) or the character in the first film. Or, even more interestingly, as the actor from the first film who’s somehow been traumatised by his part (and potentially the second film’s events too) and become a crazed killer too.
- Laser and Harvey will have some kind of centipede-off, in which they compete to make the longest centipede they can.
- Laser and Harvey will attempt to make a centipede out of each other, and/or Six himself.
- Laser and Harvey will work together to make the longest and most horrific centipede imaginable, putting to shame all the grim scenes that have come before them in the first two films.
- Tom Six is some kind of mastermind who created the two killers, in a Scream 3-like turn of events.
Of course, these are only possibilities, and naturally not the only possibilities, I just thought we could have some fun. Let us know your own ideas of what you think might transpire in the trilogy’s conclusion in the comments below.